Re: Splitting GNU ELPA

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Splitting GNU ELPA
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:06:54 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 23:56:00 -0400
>
>   > When someone comes with a package that implements important features,
>   > I'd like them to understand that, and be prepared to cooperate and
>   > coordinate with us, whether immediately or in the future.  That needs
>   > better ties that just "here's your place; use it wisely".
>
> That makes sense.  Could you make a more concrete recommendation?

A more concrete recommendation would be to examine each proposed
package more closely and try to decide whether we'd like to have that
in Emacs or "close by", or just offer it for download to those who are
interested (a.k.a. "just distribute").  This should include some
meaningful discussion with arguments on both directions, and hopefully
some consensus about the decision.

We could also ask the package developer to state their POV on these
matters, and their plans for further development and maintenance.