Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 17:39:03 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 23:48:59 -0400
>
>   > If we regard ELPA just as distribution site, we shouldn't decide so
> lightly to leave important packages on ELPA, we should be tend more to adding
> them to core.
>
> I don't see how that follows necessarily.  Can you explain what leads
> you from the premise to that conclusion?

Basically, I believe that if ELPA is just a distribution site, putting
a package there sends a message that we aren't interested in a package
and are indifferent to its contents, coding standards, etc.  In
practice this means that there's nothing to allow us to recommend
those packages over those from other archives, except that we checked
the license and made sure it doesn't use non-free software (and even
the latter will probably become with time a superficial check that
will not reveal enough).

When someone comes with a package that implements important features,
I'd like them to understand that, and be prepared to cooperate and
coordinate with us, whether immediately or in the future.  That needs
better ties that just "here's your place; use it wisely".