Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 15:46:29 +0300

On 16.05.2020 15:34, Sergey Organov wrote:
And here there are 2 more problems for newbies. They usually expect
pop-up/modal/  dialog to be thrown on them for anything but text input
or moving around.
That happens in Emacs for some/many commands invoked via the menu bar.
Then this must be rather easy to achieve for keyboard induced commands
as well.
Not really.  When the user invokes a command from the menu, we have a
clear signal that the mouse is being used, and therefore can display a
GUI dialog without fear.  But when the user types "C-x C-f", how can
we know that he/she expects a dialog box and not a minibuffer prompt?
My argument was that newbie never wants minibuffer prompt, so this is
not an issue. I mean it'd always be dialog unless "newbie-mode" is
turned off.

My anecdata shows otherwise: it's never been a problem personally.

As for the newbies who want modal dialogs, surely they will use the mouse and the toolbar to invoke the corresponding commands?