RE: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: RE: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 16:47:04 -0700

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> FWIW, I use a separate minibuffer frame, which extends
> across the bottom of the screen (by default - size &
> position configurable).

I'm not convinced frames would be the best technical solution, since
they have to be handled by window managers.  And that invites headaches,
not least when you add things like tiling window managers into the mix.

> Personally, I prefer the default behavior, of remaining
> at the bottom of the screen.

Same here.  But maybe I could be convinced to try something else if it
was done well.

> Top positioning has either the same problem as near
> point (your annoyance: obscuring info) or the same
> problem as bottom-positioning.

Agreed.  Top positioning might be better for other reasons though.

But I suppose this is all academic until Someoneā„¢ writes some code.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas