Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 23:55:28 -0400

  > This means it's hard to do automatic checking of consistency in naming,

That is an abstract concept, and I can understand it abstractly,
but I don't know concretely what that would do.

  > However, if people are looking for other constructs to manage
  > namespaces, it very much possible to develop shorthand.el so that you
  > can have:

  >    (shorthand-in-namespace FOO :as "f")

What would that do?  I see values as argunments but what do they mean?

  >    ;; shorthand-shorthands: (("^s-" . "magnar-string-"))
  >    ;; End:

  > because it's practical, understood, and would be self-evident, i.e. work
  > without much "magic".

You didn't say what that call means, but I was able to figure it out.

I think this feature is good when used in a sane way, but we need some
control to make sure people don't use it in absurd ways.  Also, when a
file uses magnarstring.el, it should not have to duplicate the
renamings of magnarstring.el.  It should be able to say, "This refers
to magnarstring.el".

Also, the renamings in the using program should only apply to the
names specified somehow by magnarstring.el.  If that file happens to
contain a symbol named s-means-stop, that shouldn't get renamed to
magnarstring-means-stop.

I think this calls for magnarstring.el to contain a list of the
individual renamings.  When you edit the file you should be able to
run a command that would update that list in the file.

Then files which use magnarstring.el should be able to snarf that list
out of magnarstring.el and apply those specific renamings.

WDYT?

--
Dr Richard Stallman