Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:36:31 -0400

On 11/05/2020 15.27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>  address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>  address@hidden
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:13:23 -0400
>>
>>> I think you are missing the main point.  The problem is not
>>> security, it is correct attribution.
>>
>> Sorry, it seems my email was unclear.  The proposal doesn't have to do with
>> security.  I'm trying to find a robust way to figure out if someone has
>> copyright papers.
>
> But that isn't the main problem.  The main problem is how to identify
> the name of the person for whom you need to check the status of
> copyright assignment.  We are talking about the situation where all
> you have is a commit made by someone in a Git repository other than
> that of Emacs.  It has some name and some email.

No, my situation is that I have someone sending me a pull request or a patch by
email.  I can ask this person if they have an assignment, but I can't check
whether they in fact do.
I'm proposing a way to fix the problem for future assignments and commits: if
the convention is that patches should be signed by their author, it's easy to
check if a patch has a corresponding assignment, using the signature.

> We are talking about the situation where all
> you have is a commit made by someone in a Git repository other than
> that of Emacs.

I don't understand this part.  If there is no signature on that commit, how
does it relate to the scheme I was proposing?