Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 19:56:10 +0100

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> And all this discussion is about some of us thinking that we *should*
> take it quarter-seriously for the some of the core as well.

Heh, a quarter-serious dose of consistency for a fuzzily defined "core"

Sure that's worth it? Wouldn't you rather work on namespaces? The two
issues intersect!

> There can be good reasons to have exceptions, exemptions, etc... but
> they should be understood as that.  From this point of view, I think
> it's hard to justify an exception for `multibyte-string-p`

Other than: it's there already: it's ingrained in code and programmers
minds.  (And also reads better: tho I would be equally opposed to renaming
it to multibyte if there were a multibyte.el)

> OCD would be to force the use of such namespacing *everywhere* and we're
> pretty far from that.

OK, I trust you (as usual ;-) ) to consider that this aliasing thing has
some negative side-effects such as noise in people's completion
lists (again, not to mention minds). I suppose there will be a double
entry in the corresponding info node, right? Otherwise I could use
my "boost from the manual" hack to fix some of that.

   João "who instantly regrets mentioning the manual cause I just say
unibyte-string there, too"