Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 19:02:37 +0100

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 6:23 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:>

>>> You'll always
>>> get a group of people that really expected it to be multibyte-string and
>>> group of people that expect string-multibyte.
> There is a naming standard that every Elisp programmer must learn, it's
> the use of a namespace prefix to group elements.  Sadly, this standard
> is only taken half-seriously for non-core Elisp definitions.

Hmmm. You are implying that "core" definitions are exempted from
this right?  That's why we don't want to have list-car or number-+.
I think we agree there. So if I read you correctly you're also saying
the string type isn't a core thing.  Well, it is, isn't it? Basically I
want string stuff to be in the "safe" group. BUT a good regexp library
that lives somewhere neat and tidy, say a "rex.el", wouldn't bother
me at all. But I want this regexp library to be built as a proper library
not (necessarily) using aliases which might constrain the design.

That said, if you want to alias that one function because you think
it would bring great benefits, fine I guess.  But keep this minimal,
I beg you. Or give flex a go, or substring. What do you use, really,
in your day-to-day? How exactly is "multibyte-string" ruining
your day?

   João "who thinks this renaming has a bit of good ol' OCD in it"