Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 18:20:05 +0200

Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden> writes:

> I thought we had a golden opportunity to put s.el inside Emacs:

We can still put it in GNU ELPA, which is just as good.  Frankly, it's
better.  We can pick and choose all the best ideas and include them in
a way that fits with the rest of Emacs.  And users who still prefer
s.el are free to use it, including in other GNU ELPA packages.

> - I can try to suggest a few aliases, and maybe one or two will be
> accepted, but certainly not a lot.
> - I can try to suggest a few new functions, and maybe one or two will
> be accepted.

Sounds good, thank you.  (I'm not sure why you think that most of your
suggestions would be rejected, though.)

> - Whatever is introduced is likely to be "Emacsified" as not to look
> too much like clojure.

The way I understand this discussion, I don't think the point is that
we just want to be different for the sake of being different.  It's
just that we can't import functions wholesale simply to be similar to
another language when we already have perfectly good alternatives in
ELisp.  Or at least we can't do that in core (OTOH it's fine if a
library like s.el wants to do that).

> - I can notify the author of s.el that only a tiny subset of s.el (if
> any) is likely to be imported, but he should know he's very welcome to
> put s.el on ELPA.

If I read you correctly, you're a bit disappointed.  Even so, please
focus on the positive, that we would like to add s.el to GNU ELPA,
rather than the negative "it will not be added to Emacs core".  I
believe adding it to GNU ELPA will send most of the positive and
encouraging signals that we all want to communicate to the
outside-of-ELPA package author crowd.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas