Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 15:22:39 +0100

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 2:55 PM 조성빈 <address@hidden> wrote:

> I’m not saying only about completion - I was thinking about things
> like how C-h f isn’t really useful for function finding and we
> should use C-h a and C-h d.

But I'm saying it _is_ useful. It IS useful to me. With flex. And
your proposal will make it much less useful, and that's bad.

> > I was answering Philippe, and he mentioned earlier that he's
> > a big fan of "Convention over Configuration" a philosophy
> > popularized in the 2000's by the RoR community.
> I can’t see why CoC applies here - function names aren’t
> ‘configuration’, right?

No, but using `(setq completion-styles 'flex)` is. A pretty useful
bit of it too.  Maybe you try it for a while? It works with Company,
completion-at-point and, theoretically, with a new version of Helm.
You can also try M-x fido-mode.

Anyway, CoC is what Phillipe brought up, not me. It's a RoR thing,
and I was answering him. And Convention is pretty good, sure,
when you're starting from scratch.  So in your next new language,
by all means, use the Best Convention (TM).

> > Quite the contrary. I'm trying to convince you that it can
> > work with closer to that if you work towards it without
> > futzing up other people's, equally legitimate, ways of
> > thinking about symbol names.
>
> Actually, IMO that ways of thinking symbol names should be
> codified and be recommended - could you help in making some
> emacs lisp API guidelines with that knowledge?

For new domains, surely? Like washing-machines.el or
little-green-men.el?  Sure, I can do that.  I have my own
conventions on how to name things (and they've changed
over the years, a lot, and they will probably change until
I'm dead.  I wouldn't recommend putting  a lot of weight in
them, though. You can check my latest packages, like
eglot.el or jsonrpc.el to see how I name things.

João