Re: HTML display in Gnus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: HTML display in Gnus
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 10:24:10 +0200

Kévin Le Gouguec <address@hidden> writes:

> After an hour fiddling with shr-width and gnus-html-frame-width to no
> avail, I realized that the latter is only used with the gnus-w3m
> renderer, while mm-shr let-binds the former to
>
> (if shr-use-fonts
>     nil
>   fill-column)
>
> This is surprising (to me), since shr-width's docstring says that an
> integer value works just fine even when shr-use-fonts is set:

Yeah, that looks like a bug, I think...  fill-column should either be
used in both cases or none?

> I've modified the snippet above to bind shr-width to fill-column
> unconditionally, and it works wonders for me.  Maybe this condition
> makes no sense anymore?  As things stand, if shr-use-fonts is set, the
> user loses control over the line width.
>
> WDYT?

The problem is that the user may have a window that's narrower than
fill-column, so I think it may be a misfeature to rely on that variable
in any case.  See bug#40909 -- I think the solution here may be to
introduce a max-width variable for shr instead of having a shr-width
variable.