HTML display in Gnus (was: Sending plaintext with Gmail)

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: HTML display in Gnus (was: Sending plaintext with Gmail)
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 10:13:08 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> You can add text/html to mm-discouraged-alternatives.  See (emacs-mime)
> Display Customization::.
>
> Andreas.

Ah, that's where it was!  Thanks :)

I was mostly asking for the sake of people who find HTML unacceptable;
I'm mostly fine with it, though lines spanning the full window width are
somewhat hard to read.

After an hour fiddling with shr-width and gnus-html-frame-width to no
avail, I realized that the latter is only used with the gnus-w3m
renderer, while mm-shr let-binds the former to

(if shr-use-fonts
    nil
  fill-column)

This is surprising (to me), since shr-width's docstring says that an
integer value works just fine even when shr-use-fonts is set:

> If ‘shr-use-fonts’ is set, the mean character width is used to
> compute the pixel width, which is used instead.

I've modified the snippet above to bind shr-width to fill-column
unconditionally, and it works wonders for me.  Maybe this condition
makes no sense anymore?  As things stand, if shr-use-fonts is set, the
user loses control over the line width.

WDYT?