Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 20:56:14 +0200

> I never coded
> with clojure, but my argument for these helpers is that in code we do
> string manipulations all the time, they are trivial to write, so why not
> have trivial helpers.

The criticism would be exactly the same: if they're trivial, why have
them in the library at all.

For me the reason would be: to focus on actual code instead of silly tasks like computing indices and making code more verbose than necessary also while avoiding silly bugs.

> I usually don't care about these extra
> function calls, what matters more to me is how beautiful the code looks
> and how readable it is.

Often, I'd agree. But the tradeoffs when creating the standard library
of the language are somewhat different, IMHO.

Interesting point. I want to believe that we can have convenience without sacrificing performance, maybe by coding these in C? Just a thought, not an actual proposal.

> >  From your side, I understand that your definition of the minimal set is
> > much thiner, and maybe what would help is to give the complete list of
> > the functions you find superfluous and why (list at
> > https://github.com/magnars/s.el so far you mention `s-prepend` and
> > `s-append`). For example I'd disagree if you said `s-left` and `s-right`
> > are not useful to import because it can be done with `substring`.
>

> I will respectfully refuse this invitation: I have other work to do.

No worries. I think I now have enough information to propose something concrete.

Thanks for your input!