Re: Interest in nt_load_image?

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: Interest in nt_load_image?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:06:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>>  <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 18:15:47 +0200
>>
>> > At 84KB, I don't see how the XPM DLL could be a problem for anyone.
>> > More importantly, tool-bar.el explicitly loads XPM icons.
>>
>> Not really. tool-bar.el uses find-image which can be trivially extended
>> to also seach for PNG as last resort. This is what I showed in my
>
> Why bother?

Why not? Why not allow the toolbar icons to be PNG's? Using them in
Windows removes one more dependency and there is the opportunity to have
nicer icons, just like the ones Aquamacs uses.

In any case, support for Xpm seems to be in a somewhat fluid state. The
NS port is regularly built without libxpm, as shown in the
#ifdef's. That configuration is also the one for Cairo builds. So there
is a trend there, right? Good thing is I see I can use that code to make
a build with GDI+ that support Xpm v.3 but does not require libxpm-nox
(i.e. --with-gdiplus --without-xpm would activate it).

>> P.S.: Just a side question, is LCMS2 actually used anywhere in Emacs?
>
> Yes, see src/lcms.c.

Sorry, apologies once more for the ambiguity: I meant _used_ not exposed
as a library. lcms.c seems only to provide functions to compute color
distances, but the color management does not seem to be used anywhere by
Emacs.

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll