Re: Can we expand the valid location of "Local Variables" ?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Can we expand the valid location of "Local Variables" ?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 22:56:54 +0700

Going back to the original question:

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 03:56, Dima Kogan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Currently we can specify buffer-local variables in a "Local Variables"
> stanza at the end of a buffer:
>

> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Specifying-File-Variables.html#Specifying-File-Variables
>
> For efficiency reasons, emacs doesn't look for this stanza in the entire
> buffer, but only scans the last 3000 bytes.
>
> The use case where I hit this was in an .org file that was defining a
> presentation where I needed to control the export with an eval: (progn
> ...) block. Org wasn't doing quite what I needed it to, so the block had
> some advice definitions in it, and that pushed the thing over the 3000
> byte limit.

Maybe your use case could be solved by using directory-local variables?

Alternatively, maybe the body of that eval block could become a defun
somewhere in your private configuration, and then the eval block would
shrink to a single function call? Maybe you could even always execute
that block for Org mode buffers by adding it to org-mode-hook?