Re: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 18:25:10 +0100

It didnʼt indeed. However, you said earlier:

    Eli> This will make the new XDG compliant directory an opt-in
    Eli> feature: users who want that will have to create
    Eli> ~/.config/emacs, move there the contents of ~/.emacs.d, and
    Eli> then delete the latter, in order to have Emacs use the XDG
    Eli> convention.

If we prefer ~/.config/emacs if it exists, then people who read NEWS
and want to try out the XDG stuff can just copy ~/.emacs.d to
~/.config/emacs and would not have to delete .emacs.d. If they then
change their mind they can simply delete ~/.config/emacs.

I donʼt think itʼs likely that people will accidentally create
~/.config/emacs, so preferring it should not cause any surprises (plus
I feel that 'use x if it exists, else use y' is less prone to
confusion than 'use x if it exists unless y exists').

Robert