Re: Some ideas with Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Some ideas with Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 14:34:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I think if we want to have an ELisp tutorial, it should be a separate
> manual.  The current ELisp manual is a reference manual, and written
> as such.

I fail to see why a reference manual can't also include examples.
I've had to search the web to understand how to use things before,
even after having carefully read the relevant parts of the elisp
manual and the doc string.  An example says a thousand words, as the
saying goes...

I think the Python documentation is very good in this regard.  Here is
one example:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#mapping-types-dict

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that we should mandate that we should
include examples.  But I'd suggest to optionally add them where it
makes sense, and possibly then only in the info version of the manual
(since we lack space in the print edition).

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas