Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 17:47:16 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 19:36:18 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  Clément Pit-Claudel
> >  <address@hidden>,  emacs-devel <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:32:24 -0400

> > > A better option would be to have a base `lisp-prog-mode` and hen
> > > derive emacs-lisp-mode from it.

> > Exactly.  dir-locals-mode should share a parent with emacs-lisp-mode.

> I disagree that dir-locals-mode should exist.

I agree with you.

The motivation for dir-locals-mode seems to be solely that there's some
problem in fly{make,check}-mode involving .dir-locals.

What key bindings would people want in dir-locals-mode?  What indentation
strategies, what font-locking?  Nobody's given such positive reasons, as
yet (unless I've missed a post).

And making a common ancestor for this new mode and emacs-lisp-mode would
be a Bad Thing.  It would fragment e-l-m for no particular gain.

I say there should be no such new mode.  The problems should be fixed in
fly*.el, which surely should be possible.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).