Re: Image-conversion shims

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Image-conversion shims
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 06:53:44 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> If the result is no worse than what we have in fundamental-mode, I think
> it's good.  It's likely going to be better: image-mode could emit
> a helpful message explaining which variable to set to enable the use of
> external converters or which external converters to install to be able
> to display the image, for example.

That's true.  OK, you've convinced me: We should go through the list of
file types the external converters offer and add the ones that make
sense (.webp, .bmp, .etc) to auto-mode-alist, and we should change
image-mode's messaging a bit.

>> We don't do that with other file types, so why with images?
>
> We use `perl-mode` even if there's no `perl` installed ;-)

We do, but perl-mode still works even if there's no perl installed.  :-)