Re: Image-conversion shims

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Image-conversion shims
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 18:06:56 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> After customizing imagemagick-enabled-types to t, it registers all image
> types; image-converter could do the same.  This is a good trade-off to
> not register all exotic formats in auto-mode-alist by default,
> but still easy to customize to stuff everything to auto-mode-alist
> when needed.

Ah, I see.  Yes, it has a

  :set (lambda (symbol value)
         (set-default symbol value)
         (imagemagick-register-types))

and we could basically do the same for `image-use-external-converter'.

The only wrinkle is that it would then call the --probe function
typically at Emacs startup (because that's when ~/.emacs is loaded and
`custom-set-variables' is run).  But... the impact of that would be
pretty small ("gm convert -list format" is very fast), and would only
happen for those who have opted in.