Re: Tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 22:57:24 +0300

>> Finally
>
> ... some ten years after you started ...

Thanks to your help, 3 months ago I have been able finally to understand
how persistence of window configurations/states should be implemented.
Also such implementation would not be possible earlier before other
improvements including window states and framesets were implemented.
So it seems now is the right time :)

>> now a complete implementation is available for these
>> etc/TODO tasks:
>
> To make your branch build on Windows you need to install the attached
> patch at least (blindly copied from its X counterparts).  Therafter,
> Emacs builds and comes up normally.

Thanks, I pushed your patch to the branch.  I hope it would be possible
to do refactoring on top of your patch to avoid duplicating GUI code
like Eli asked.

> After clicking on the Show/Hide Tab Bar menu entry, I see
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>   toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame(toggle)
>   funcall-interactively(toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame toggle)
>   call-interactively(toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame nil nil)
>   command-execute(toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame)

There is no such problem on X, so I guess it's Windows-specific?

> When clicking on a tab in a tab lines entry I get
>
> <nil> <down-mouse-1> is undefined
> <nil> <mouse-1> is undefined

This looks like Windows-specific too.

> I didn't look into the details of how these are implemented.
>
> Please also provide a simple recipe for testing your branch.

The simplest recipe is this:

0. emacs -Q
1. M-x tab-bar-mode RET
2. Click on the plus sign to create a new tab
3. Click on the previous tab
4. Click on the close icon

0. emacs -Q
1. M-x global-tab-line-mode
2. Click on the plus sign and select a buffer to create a new tab
3. Click on the previous tab
4. Click on the close icon

This covers the basic parts of the user interface.