Re: elpa-deploy.el --- ELPA deployment library

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: elpa-deploy.el --- ELPA deployment library
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 21:02:55 -0300

Hello Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> [ Not sure what is an "ELPA directory".  ]

Quoting ‘package-archive-upload-base’ variable documentation from
‘package-x.el’:

  The base location of the archive to which packages are uploaded.

> It sounds related to what package-x.el aimed to do.

Certainly.  In my view ‘elpa-deploy.el’ complements the
‘package-upload-file’ function from ‘package-x.el’ --- it actually uses
that as its final step.  The function ’elpa-deploy’ automatizes the
upload of a library so that after changes to the library’s code only a
single command is needed to perform the upload.

> I'd welcome it in GNU ELPA.  Even better if it can be made to provide
> a superset of package-x.el (so we can mark it as obsolete).

I see it as an inclusion to ‘package-x.el’.  Perhaps ‘elpa-deploy’
function should be renamed to ‘package-deploy’ and put into
‘package-x.el’.

I think ’package-x.el’ + ’elpa-deploy.el’ is incidentally a super-set of
’package-x.el’. ;) Are you aware of a particular reason why one would
want to make ‘package-x.el’ as such obsolete?

> I don't see a clear need to have it bundled with Emacs, OTOH.

This may be true.  I’d argue that it has no more need than
‘package-x.el’ does.

Best regards,

--
 88888  FFFFF Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
 8   8  F     http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/