Re: Changes in GC and in pure space (was: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4dd55:

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Changes in GC and in pure space (was: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4dd55: Fix lifetime error in previous patch)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:36:26 -0700

Here are things I would consider urgent enough to warrant looking at
for Emacs 27:
- remove code like we have in `Ffset' to detect GC bugs that
presumably have been fixed by now

Are you talking about just the code introduced in commit
2014-04-03T00:18:08Z!address@hidden
(01ae0fbf30b74e2490144fceabbf5bc5d96f1ba7), or is some other code involved? I'll
CC this to dancol to see if he has thoughts.

There's also reference to a GC bug in describe_vector.

Thanks for mentioning these two items. I installed the attached two patches into master. The first arranges for SUSPICIOUS_OBJECT_CHECKING to not be defined unless one compiles with ENABLE_CHECKING, which should remove the Ffset hack in production code; the second removes that 25-year-old GC workaround that hasn't been needed for quite some time.

Actually, all that SUSPICIOUS_OBJECT_CHECKING code can be removed. But one step at a time.