Re: Changes in GC and in pure space (was: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4dd55:

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Changes in GC and in pure space (was: [Emacs-diffs] master 5d4dd55: Fix lifetime error in previous patch)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 02:34:06 -0700

Pip Cet wrote:

Here are things I would consider urgent enough to warrant looking at
for Emacs 27:
- remove code like we have in `Ffset' to detect GC bugs that
presumably have been fixed by now

Are you talking about just the code introduced in commit 2014-04-03T00:18:08Z!address@hidden (01ae0fbf30b74e2490144fceabbf5bc5d96f1ba7), or is some other code involved? I'll CC this to dancol to see if he has thoughts.

- make_fixnum called for numbers outside the fixnum range

I installed a patch to master just now to do that.

- various places that should detect circular lists but don't (lread.c
reading hash tables, for example)

Can you give an example of that problem?

- doubly-evaluated macro arguments (the one I can think of offhand is
DUMP_SET_REFERRER, which is harmless, but others might not be)

Do you mean evaluated as in macro expansion, or evaluated as in execution at runtime? If the latter, I don't get the problem there. Many other macros assume that arguments are side effect free, and some of these cannot be turned into inline functions easily.

- since we appear to be stuck with lazy rehashing for now, the various
bugs this causes (I mentioned Fclrhash above)

Sorry, what's the Fclrhash bug?