A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 15:03:16 -0700

On 6/21/19 3:51 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Here's the commit that added the generation of the file (and the removal
of the file in extraclean), but it didn't remove the file from git.
Paul, do you remember the logic behind this?

commit cf2f54c4e3d8adb26e3f4b8e9e51364165877444

The motivation for that commit was to support the GNU idea that we should ship source code instead of generated code; in this case macuvs.h was being generated from IVD_Sequences.txt, a file that was not part of the repository and not shipped, contrary to the GNU ideal. The email thread prompting that commit is rooted here:

https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2014-05/msg00427.html

In that commit I wasn't attempting to also follow the principle that we shouldn't commit sources that can be generated automatically by standard maintainer tools. In hindsight I should have done that as well, and removed src/macuvs.h from the repository while I was at it. I just now attempted to fix this by installing the attached patch into master.