Re: HarfBuzz is available on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HarfBuzz is available on MS-Windows
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 05:42:17 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2019 22:36:51 +0200
>
> Looking at their respective PKGBUILDs, it seems that there is a cyclic
> dependency among harfbuzz and freetype

This circular dependency is a known issue; Freetype needs to be
rebuilt once HarfBuzz is built and installed, if you need Freetype as
a separate library, to be called directly.  We don't need to call
Freetype directly from Emacs on Windows, so this isn't an issue for
Emacs on Windows.

> which brings in libpng and bzip2.

libpng and bzip2 are dependencies of Freetype regardless of HarfBuzz,
AFAIK.

> HarfBuzz itself also depends on glib2.

That's an optional dependency that Emacs doesn't need at all, but
MSYS2 folks decided to include it.  In general, Glib is needed by
HarfBuzz only in order to run its test suite.