Re: [ELPA] New package: xr

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: xr
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 10:43:11 +0100

1 feb. 2019 kl. 19.41 skrev Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>:

> I would suggest neither; instead, it would convert only strings that contain
> regexp constructs (these are the ones that are hard to read in the first
> place).
> That;'s more or less what I do in https://github.com/cpitclaudel/easy-escape,
> and it works OK.

I see. In that case, it seems that you are ideally positioned to make such an
attempt, given your experience with easy-escape. Please forgive me for not
pursuing your idea myself; although it has merit, I remain skeptical for two
reasons:
First, in contrast to easy-escape, xr is an expanding substitution, sometimes
strongly so, and would mess up the code layout, unless care is taken to
reformat.
Second, I want to encourage people to actually use rx instead of string
regexps, not just paint it over. Your proposal reminds me too much of the
current dystopian trajectory of humanity, where we will be living in a polluted
wasteland, all wearing AR goggles providing the illusion of an arcadian
paradise.