Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:40:27 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 04:37:32 -0500
>
> > A 'face' property is documented for general use only for text, not for
> > symbol plists.
>
> But the `category` text-property uses as text-properties the properties
> of a symbol, so there is a real conflict in our current design.

The 'category' symbols aren't faces, so there's no problem here.  the
'face' property has special meaning only on symbols that name a face.

> I think it might be worth taking a look at how hard/easy it would be to
> change the place where we store the face-id.

I think you greatly exaggerate the importance of this incident.  What
we have is a single package that happened to inadvertently bump into
this because it has a face and another symbol by the same name, _and_
that package also puts a 'face' property on the symbol.  The solution,
which was already proposed, is to rename the face.  Other than that,
this design is working flawlessly since the day it was introduced 19
years ago.

So I see no reason to waste any more energy on this.  We have more
important issues to tend to.