Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property (was: master cd06d17: Fix bug w

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property (was: master cd06d17: Fix bug with face-id after restoring from pdump)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:28:55 +0000

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 5:51 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I think this second alternative is consistent with your views on the
> > global namespace.  It might be more work though.
>
> More importantly, I see no reason for such backward-incompatible
> change.  It is easier to change one package, flymake, than to
> potentially impose incompatible changes on external packages and user
> customizations, even though this is an internal usage.  It just is too
> veteran to change it for this reason.

The hypothetical change I was proposing would not be
backwards-incompatible, in fact, it would avoid the backward-
incompatibility that you are suggesting that I add to flymake.el.

This is of course assuming I understand "backward-incompatible"
the same way you do, as in: code and customization written by
third parties outside our control would break.

So we are probably taking about different things. But, since my
proposal is still vapourware (I haven't looked at the code yet),
there is no reason for discussing it any further right now.

--
João Távora