Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Aaron Madlon-Kay
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:21:34 +0900

> If you see the error message like
>
>  error: no type or protocol named 'NSMenuItemValidation'
>
> when compiling it on macOS 10.14.1, then you have most likely
> (unconsciously) installed Command Line Tools (macOS 10.13) for Xcode
> 10.1.  Please check your installations with the following command:
>
>  $ softwareupdate --history --all | grep Command
>
> This can reportedly be fixed by downloading Command Line Tools (macOS
> 10.14) for Xcode 10.1 from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
> and installing it manually.

I was unfortunately a victim of this inadvertent installation of old
CLI tools, and on both my home and work machines so I suspect it may
be widespread.

Merely reinstalling the correct Command Line Tools package was
insufficient to solve the problem for me. I had to also install the
newly-optional headers package found here:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg

More details on why this is necessary here:
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/3036#issuecomment-439789796

-Aaron