Re: Emacs release branch warnings with GCC 8

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs release branch warnings with GCC 8
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 22:38:38 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:12:36 -0700
>
> The emacs-26 branch has some warnings when compiled on Fedora 28, which
> is scheduled for release next week; see attached. This is because Fedora
> 28 uses GCC 8.0.1, and when --enable-gcc-warnings is used (which is the
> default in a build from Git), GCC 8 issues some warnings that GCC 7 does
> not.

But a release tarball is not built with --enable-gcc-warnings by
default, right?

> I've patched the master to fix this problem in commits
> 2b9ab8c8fba849da8bf2aa45e65b122bb937a6b3 and
> 8c3215e7a47e3caaa005bf573765ed63e0739b89, and could backport these
> patches (or a subset) to emacs-26 if there's interest.

I'm okay with the first one, but I don't understand how the warnings
you've shown are related to the ATTRIBUTE_MALLOC changes in the second
commit.  If those are not necessary to shut up warnings, I'd prefer
not to backport those, as the attribute stuff can be a potential
portability problem.

Thanks.