Re: Any interest in making Emacs available on Flathub?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Any interest in making Emacs available on Flathub?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 15:42:14 -0700

On 04/18/2018 10:53 PM, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
right now I think it makes sense for them to even be outside the master repository

Yes, it's sounding like the best way to think about this is that Emacs can be distributed via Flathub in a way that's similar to how it's already distributed as part of Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. That is, the Flatpak distribution is downstream from Emacs master, and Emacs master mostly doesn't have to worry about it and the people maintaining the Flathub repository can deal with any Flatpak-specific issues. At worst we might need to make a few compatibility changes to Emacs that simplifies putting it under Flatpak, but we shouldn't need to add actions to the main Emacs Makefiles etc.