Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 19:09:24 +0200

Phillip Lord writes:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=feature/integrated-elpa
>
> uses package.el during the build process of Emacs, so that ELPA packages
> could be added as packages. It requires more work. In the end, my own
> feeling is that this is the right way. We could dramatically slim down
> core Emacs to be enough to run package.el. The release would then be
> "core plus what ever packages we think are important at the time".

I think the point of contention previously was not from people using Git
anyway for all their builds, but from folks attuned to using tarballs.
So I think there'd need to be a way to create a tarball that looks like
a proper Git checkout of the release, probably with some info put
somewhere to record the exact state of these various checkouts at the
time of the archive creation and a build process that picks those up as
appropriate.

My personal preference would be if everything that isn't needed to
bootstrap Emacs moved to ELPA so that most of Emacs could be kept
up-to-date via the package manager.

Regards,
Achim.