Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 29006a6: Detect if a message can be encrypted a

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 29006a6: Detect if a message can be encrypted and add an MML tag
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 19:57:30 +0200

Hi Damien,
* Damien Cassou <address@hidden> [2018-04-11; 13:44]:
> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
>> run-hooks: Symbol’s function definition is void:
>> message-add-encrypt-tag-if-can-encrypt when sending a email.
>

> right. I will send a patch fixing the NEWS entry. Thanks for the report.
>

>> 1) It adds the MML tags even if the recipients key is disabled.
> I don't know what "the recipients key is disabled" means.

A user may have a recipients public key in GnuPGs public key ring
but disable it.  The key is the labled as disabled in key
listings and gpg does not use it for encryption.
This feature comes in handy if a recipient of yours forgot
his/her passphrase to the private part of the key pair or lost
the private key.  In this case you may disable the public key in your
keyring.  Then this public key is not used in the future for
encryption but you are still able to verify signatures made with
the corresponding private key in the past.

Therefore disabled keys should not be considered with respect to
the question if there are public keys for all recipients of a
given message.

>> 2) More complicated: The UI does not provide a means to
>> temporarily not use encryption (when e.g. you know your
>> correspondent is on vacation and reads email on a smartphone
>> without decryption facilities).  The only way to send an
>> unencrypted email to a recipient for whom I have the
>> corresponding pub key, is to delete
>> message-sign-encrypt-if-all-keys-available from message-send-hook
>> before sending.
>

> I agree. We could add a boolean buffer-local variable that the user
> could toggle with something like `M-x
> message-toggle-sign-encrypt-if-all-keys-available`. This would only
> affect the current buffer. What do you think?

Yes, or slightly easier for the user to handle: a
command which removes the MML tags and sets this buffer local
variable or even then sends the message again.

Thanks for considering this.

Have a nice day, Gregor