Re: Windows snapshot builds

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Windows snapshot builds
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 14:12:53 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>>
>> Hmmm. It's a good question. I mean, it's trivial to do, but there are
>> two ways of looking at it.
>>
>> Currently, these files contain the build dependencies and all their
>> dependencies. This, admittedly, turns out to be a pretty large
>> collection of things, but still it falls short of a full msys
>> install. So, one argument says we should keep to this.
>>
>> The other argument says, we should add stuff which is directly used by
>> Emacs, and accept the fact, that we might end up with the best part of
>> msys.
>>
>> Or we sit in the middle and install on a case-by-case basis.
>>
>> I'd be inclined to do with the latter one, with the knowledge that it
>> might end up being two unwieldly.
>>
>> Thoughts from anyone else?
>
> If I could, I would use MSYS2 to manage programs on my work-issued Windows
> PC.  I am not sure the admins have experience with GNU/Linux systems in
> particular and UNIX in general, and as such are reluctant to install
> MSYS2.
>
> On the other hand, they do know that you need your favorite "IDE" if your
> work involves "programming", and as such it was no issue to have Emacs
> installed.  The "deps" version is great because it is directly hosted by
> GNU and contains mostly everything an Emacs user would need.  It would
> just be great to have a few more "batteries" included.

I entirely appreciate the use-case.

I am just thinking about whether there is a good, principled way on
deciding on what to support. And, moreover, whether we can make a list
of all the relevant packages upfront. That would also give me some idea
of how much stuff we are going to add.

It's probably not going to be significant -- the dependencies as given
are already pretty extensive (including python for instance!). But it
would be good to know.

Phil