Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 17:14:39 +0100

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> A I've said earlier, if we think different users might want different
> behavior in this respect, we should have a customizable option.

Agreed.

> In any case, the simplest case should work as expected: when the
> desktop file records only one frame, it shall be restored as a single
> text-mode frame when Emacs is started with -nw, I think.

Yes. I'm surprised this failed. This is basic stuff.

> I'm not sure this is desirable.  It is IMO more natural to have the
> same frameset for all sessions.  But that's me.  Full disclosure: I
> never restore my sessions into Emacs started with -nw, except for
> testing these issues.

Same here. I never work with -nw except for testing purposes.

> Frame restoration is a relatively recent feature, so I think we should
> first make sure it works correctly in the simple scenarios, before we
> start extending it to support more exotic ones.  As one data point, I
> don't think anyone has yet requested the features you describe above.

Depending where we want to go, these features aren't more exotic, just a generalization of sorts. But I agree with you. Don't want to waste my time with something that people doesn't need.

> I didn't write the above to assign blame.

I know. But that you don't blame me doesn't mean I don't feel a little guilty. I've disliked when someone started some big (or user-visible) change in Emacs and then disappeared (not a very common occurrence, but not unheard of). And I did the same. Hi pot, meet kettle.