Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GUI vs TTY when saving & restoring framesets
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:06:42 +0100

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> Something similar happens when I use the defaults.  But the buffers come
> up in the "wrong" frames (i.e. associated with a different <fn> key),
> making it not useful for me.  Anyhow, I've had this use of <fn> for 15
> years now, and 15 years ago there was nothing like frames in the desktop
> file.

Well, frameset restoration is a new feature, which does not interfere with what you did before. It just does not do what you want in a new situation (you could always set desktop-restore-frames to nil and not lose any old functionality). I don't mean that your use case is not valid or relevant, only that it is hardly surprising that it doesn't work out of the box ;-)

> think it more likely that Juanma didn't see any need to preserve the
> association of particular frames with particular buffers when extending
> desktop to handle frames.

I tried to preserve anything that I could imagine being even remotely useful, or being told so. Obviously, there's room for improvement.

> But it would
> be nice if desktop could preserve the ordering of the frames and buffers,
> too.

I'll look into it.