Re: Concurrency, again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 18:09:54 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:03:54 -0400
>
> Please don't forget that writing code is a small (10-15%) part of the
> overall cost. Documentation, backwards portability, handling bugs
> (including bugs caused by poor documentation or poor API design!),
> technical debt, and ongoing maintenance are costs that must be
> considered by the Emacs maintainers for any proposed change. The scope,
> therefore, matters: the wider the scope of the change, the more risk and
> cost it may incur.

FWIW, those additional costs were never considered by this project,
AFAIR.  If a feature was deemed useful and its implementation clean
enough, it was invariably accepted, under the assumption that the
costs will be bearable.  We even accepted significant features with
minimal or no documentation at all.  And at least in one case, the
developer actually dropped off the grid when the time came for
seriously shaking out his feature.