Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:53:15 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 22:33:38 +0200
> Cc: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>
> I was curious because to me, writing the GUI part for each platforms is much
> more work than writing it in Qt
> and maybe adapting some parts for special cases...

You seem to have in mind programming at raw Xlib level.  Such a
"toolkit-less" configuration indeed exists in Emacs, but it is no
longer developed, and rarely used.  The other GUI configurations all
use some kind of toolkit, and toolkits generally present similar APIs
for similar things.  So adapting Emacs to some toolkit is not harder
than adapting it to Qt.  The only advantage of Qt is that it's
multi-platform, but GTK is also multi-platform.