Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 00:03:22 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> All this talk about packagizing Emacs.git, so we can manage everything with
> package.el (including building and autoloads-generation), and keep everything
> into its own directory, is putting the cart before the horse. We're not ready
> for that step yet. First, let's make ELPA more useful, then we can talk about
> reorganizing core Emacs once this initial phase has seen successful reception
> From users.

To be clear, I never suggested re-organizing the current files in Emacs
-- in fact, I suggested leaving it *exactly* as it is. I just suggested
supplementing it one part of the build, and some changes to package.el
initialisation.

The in tree solution, conversely, requires copying files into lisp/,
adding more non-source files into this tree in an in-directory source
build of emacs. And, as Lars described nicely, also requires generation
of manifests, and changes to the load-path mechanism in C.

Okay. That's really it. Please, John, if I ever post on this topic
again, can you kick me off the mailing list?

Phil