Re: Web browsing (was Re: Concurrency, again)

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Web browsing (was Re: Concurrency, again)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:44:15 -0400

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:57:40 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > > We should not make Emacs a platform for running nonfree
>   > > software sent from servers designed to snoop on people.
>
>   > I agree, but that's predicated on first answering the question
>   > of how to make Emacs into a good browser.
>
> Yes.  But while this ordering of issues is a valid logical sequence,
> it would not be a good idea to address them sequentially.
>
> People are talking now about scenarios that would be instances of
> the problem, so it is time now to bring the problem into the
> discussion.

Again, I won't disagree, but I think doing what is needed is
relatively straightforward. State of the art is blacklisting or
whitelisting various pages and scripts, and I think it will be pretty
easy to put in such mechanisms given all the hooks the rest of the
functionality needs. So read that as "violently agreed, but I'm not
worried that it will be the difficult part of the overall project".

(In general, I'm worried that this is a very very big thing to
attempt. Not the user safety stuff which I feel confident about, but
getting the thing really working at more than a toy level.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden