Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:38:06 -0400

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:02:21 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > Just an aside: that only works for X users as things stand.
>
> I doubt that we can make a graphical browser work on a text
> terminal. Aside from that and X, aren't there only secondary
> platforms such as nonfree operating systems?

Wayland is on the horizon for Linux. X doesn't have an infinite
life ahead of it, it dates from the 1980s and the free OS world
is working to move past it (thus Wayland). I suspect that simply
adopting Webkit (which is LGPL already) directly will probably fix
most potential portability problems, since the Webkit people have to
support whatever is used on most platforms already.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden