Re: Collation tests in fns-tests.el

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Collation tests in fns-tests.el
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 18:16:29 -0400

Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:10:48 -0400

On 10/30/2015 4:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
You already said in that discussion what I'd suggest ;-)

Since Cygwin tries to be compatible to GNU/Linux (i.e. glibc), it
should indeed use some non-zero flags in its implementation of string
collation-dependent comparison.  IMO, it makes no sense not to do
that, since users expect that to happen.

Yes, I agree completely.  The issue is implementation.  Simply using the
NORM_IGNORESYMBOLS flag yields comparison functions that can return 0 on
unequal strings.  Eric pointed out the problem with that; moreover, it
seriously violates users' expectations and compatibility with glibc.  I
thought I had a way around that, but Corinna pointed out in
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-10/msg00559.html why my suggestion
doesn't work.  At this point I'm out of ideas.

I don't see why that conclusion is the only reasonable one (the
"seriously violates users' expectation" part surprises me), but I
don't really consider myself an expert on this, certainly not in
Cygwin.

If Cygwin's implementation of strcoll cannot be fixed, then we should
treat this test on Cygwin as expected failure.

I'll probably do that, but I'll wait to see if Michael has anything to add.

Ken