RE: IDE

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: IDE
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:09:56 -0700 (PDT)

> > And I definitely have TAGS files that have multiple entries
> > for the same symbol definition.  The definitions are from
> > different source files, but they are in the same TAGS file
> > (in different sections, separated by form-feed chars).
> >
> > For example:
> > ^L
> > frame-cmds-OLD.el,1980
> > (defun iconify-everything ()iconify-everything298,11152
> > ^L
> > frame-cmds.el,1890
> > (defun iconify-everything ()iconify-everything141,5218
>
> These are two different symbols, because the file name is (implicitly)
> part of it.  There can be at most one definition per file, but many
> references.

Now you've changed the kind of "file" being talked about.
You are now presumably saying that there can be only one
definition for a given term per _source_ file, not per _TAGS_
file.

The question being discussed was whether you could have multiple
"definitions" of a term in the same TAGS file.  And AFAICT you
can.

And a fortiori, you can have multiple definitions of a given
term in a set of multiple TAGS files, which is part of the
design for querying tags.