Re: [ANN] New library stream.el in ELPA

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [ANN] New library stream.el in ELPA
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:55:20 -0700

> Daniel Colascione writes:
>> I prefer keeping code in master.

> N.B. I have no opinion on stream.el itself. My opinion is that these
> stdlib/package repo issues need to be decided case by case, and that in
> general a bias toward putting stuff in ELPA is not a bad thing. A bias
> toward putting everything in core should be avoided in the current state of
> the art. [...]

Stephen summed up what I wanted to say quite nicely. Thank you!

Although we have no hard and fast rule yet for what goes into core and ELPA, I
expect moving things into core to offer a better reason than "because I want
it there". Such a package should provide:

  - a basic functionality we expect to be commonly used,
  - supports a package already in core,
  - provides some justification for being in the default distribution and
    thus subject to maintenance by the core maintainers.

If it can't answer those questions, it should be in ELPA.

John