Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 15:10:18 -0700

> Simply, things have different value over time. It's also true for
> performance, which has lower value when is good enough.

When it comes to Emacs, "good enough" is just not good enough, in my book. We
must want it to be great, for it to become so.

Everyone can live with an Emacs that lacks some feature. Just don't use it for
that feature: it's still great at everything else it does. But make Emacs
sluggish and unresponsive, and you've killed its usability for everyone who
doesn't value the features you just traded it for.

A fancy moped would be "good enough" to get me around town; but just because
it fulfills the requirements of travel and can go places I can't go now,
doesn't mean I'd ever choose it over my car. "Good enough" is not an argument
I can buy when it comes to a thing I love.

John