Re: New maintainer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 09:26:15 +0300

> From: Przemysław Wojnowski <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 22:04:19 +0200
>
> IMHO one problem might be that, due to lack of roadmap and clear
> priorities, a lot of different things are developed at the same time,

I don't think you can prevent that in a project as multi-faceted and
multi-discipline as Emacs, nor do I think you should want to.

> which springs even more topics on emacs-devel. Going through this flood
> and deciding on them must be tiring. Selecting top 10 (X) from the
> roadmap would constrain topics range and make it simpler to manage.
> Also it would clarify for developers what to focus on.

People work on the itches they want to scratch.  I think an attempt to
tell them what to do and what not to will be futile at best, and at
worst will make some go away.

> Another thing is that a maintainer doesn't have to code review every
> single change (search for "the cost of perfectionism"). It's enough if
> some other developer would do that.

Assuming those other developers indeed do that.  We have too few who
do.

> A developer that wrote a feature can just write tests and send an email
> to emacs-devel "XXX - ready for Code Review".

They already do.  Then they have to ping us weeks later.