RE: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 07:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

> > What we should look for is both (1) a mirror pair of chars
> > that is not confusable with other uses of the same and
> > (2) a pair of chars that is simple to insert, search, etc. -
> > in general, simple to use in a rudimentary, plain-text
> > (perhaps even ASCII) context.
>
> If you want mirror pairs, you should select only those pairs that
> are mentioned in the BidiBrackets.txt file that is part of the Unicode
> Character Database (UCD).  You can see them in Emacs by looking at
> characters that have non-nil 'paired-bracket' property.
>
> If you select any other pairs, they will look wrong in R2L text.

Point taken.

But I'm not sure that what you say is true of "any other pairs",
where pair is regarded as two chars that we might consider using
as code/key phrase bookends.

I'm thinking of the pair ` and ', for instance.  Not exact mirror
images by any means, but workable.  The point is that there might
well be such pairs that are not problematic for Bidi - chars that
we humans might consider as pairable enough for our purposes.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a different pair from `...'.  If
someone finds one that satisfies the criteria, I'm open to it, of
course.