Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 07:50:28 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
   > Note using `default_nettype none isn't recommended practice;

It is easy to change the rule to reject this as a quotation
because there is no close-quote on the same line.

Yes there isn't.

That's a joke. The point is that there is a close quote in the same line, in the word "isn't". Of course that apostrophe is not intended to be a close quote, and we could alter the rules further to recognize it as not being a close quote, but whatever rules we end up with would inevitably be more complex and harder to document and quite possibly would still need exceptions. Among other things, occasionally quotations do cross line boundaries in doc strings.

I don't think we need a solution that is totally general
for everything we might possibly want to put in doc strings.
I'm not against one, if it is clean and painless.

We already have one in master that's reasonably clean. Dmitry has proposed a different one that I plan to look at soon; if it works it should be even better. So the problem is solvable.