Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 01:48:05 +0300

> @Juri
> I read that that bug report is more than 2 years old. Did you recently
> submit a patch? Or were you referring to a patch from Drew in that bug
> report?

I meant a patch from bug#12078 and implementing the suggestion from bug#12988
that will allow Isearch to always start with the default short prompt ‘I-search’
and any changes from the default state will add more indicators to the prompt.
For example, if the default search is case-insensitive, then ‘C-s’ will display
“I-search”, and ‘M-s c’ will turn the prompt into “Case-sensitive I-search”.

Your suggestion of displaying flashing initially also makes sense.
This flashing could be similar to how e.g. “[case sensitive]” is flashed
momentarily on toggling with ‘M-s c’, but also on starting Isearch.

Whether to display verbose indicators (like currently are used, e.g.
“Regexp I-search”) or 1-letter cryptic ones (e.g. “I-search(r/c/')”
like in C-mode with its indicators such as “C/lahw”) is a matter of taste
and could be customizable.